Re[2]: Unintentional attachment??

Subject: Re[2]: Unintentional attachment??
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 10:29:00 -0600

I don't think the problem is with the TECHWR server. It's also not a
problem with Eudora, as far as I can tell, since I get the same junk
attachments when I use AOL or one of my shell acounts (Pine or elm,
depending on the ISP). I have the same problem with the email mail I
get directly from some of my clients who use WINMAIL Windows email
software.

What I'm getting is -not- simply a garbled email message. It is an
attached file named WINMAIL.DAT that contains junk that I can't
decode using -either- MIME or uudecode software.

I'll go along with Kat on this one. What I get (and I get it from many
other people besides Guy, but no one else on this list, that I remember) is
a uuencoded file called "WINMAIL.DAT" which, when uudecoded, results in a
binary file which I cannot decipher.

I think it's a by-product of the mail gateway, rather than the mailer
itself, which is probably why your client can't pass the information along.
You see, Eudora, Pine, et al., speak native Internet mail protocols.
Anything else passes through a gateway/translator system which can do a
number of interesting things to the message. (As I found out some years
back when I was having those problems with my return address. Remember?)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124