Certification - My Turn

Subject: Certification - My Turn
From: "Larry Kunz ((919) 254-6395)" <ldkunz -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 19:04:19 EST

Bonni answered a question about "grandfathering":

> STC would rather not do anything about certification until
> they've studied it a whole LOT more. I don't think they've even
> gotten to the point of trying to decide about grandfathering or
> not.

That's true. But one thing we learned from the session at the
Washington conference is that grandfathering won't be a cut and
dried issue. My opinion (not STC's official stand, remember) is
that grandfathering is inevitable. Any certification program will
require support from the more experienced people in the profession,
and they'll demand some form of grandfathering. It's too soon,
though, to speculate about what form it'll take.

And, just to clear up a potential misunderstanding: STC won't "do
anything," in the sense of establishing a certification program,
until we've studied it a lot more. But we are "doing something"
in the sense of studying the issue, collecting data, and encouraging
discussions (like this one). It's a high-priority item, and there's
no way STC is going to stick its head in the sand.

One of you mentioned that certification is inevitable because,
sooner or later, someone will set up a program. More and more, I'm
becoming convinced that's true. If that "someone" isn't STC, I
fervently expect that STC will monitor the program closely and,
ideally, will be recognized by that "someone" as a valuable
resource for data and information. My colleague on the board,
Binion Amerson, put it this way: "We must lead. We must not
be led."

Larry Kunz
STC Assistant to the President for Professional Development
ldkunz -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com