Call for Papers (long)

Subject: Call for Papers (long)
From: Gail Lippincott <lipp0015 -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 11:16:04 -0600

Colleagues,

Please pass this announcement to interested parties.

CALL FOR PAPERS
Technical Communication Quarterly special issue
Research Methodology in Technical Communication

The Technical Communication Quarterly will publish a special issue on research
methodology in technical communication. Technical communication researchers use
multiple methods, some of which have been imported or adapted from other
disciplines. Since our community frameworks are influenced by pedagogical
interests, practitioner interests, and scholarly interests, it seems especially
important that we understand the assumptions and appropriateness of the
methodologies we use. In technical communication, this kind of work on research
methodology has been scattered and embedded in anthologies whose primary
purposes consisted of the issues that studies examined rather than the method of
examination. Moreover, though courses in research methodology exist for our
graduate students, the paucity of materials directed to research in technical
communication specifically suggest a need to examine this topic in detail.

The editor of this special issue seeks original contributions addressing, but
not limited to, the following topics:

* What is the current state of research in technical communication? Is
our research getting better? Focused on more central topics? Conducted with
greater vigor? Designed so that it can be reproduced? Designed with attention
to theoretical underpinnings?
* What research methods are most appropriate in technical communication,
considering that we do research about how to produce effective documents as well
as scholarly research about writing in the workplace?
* What methods from other fields are appropriate for technical
communication? How can they be applied most appropriately? What potential
problems do we need to be aware of when we use methods from other fields?
* What is the relevance of empirical methods to the field?
* What do we learn from on-site, situated inquiry in work settings through
naturalistic methods?
* How do practitioners view and use research in the field?
* What the similarities and differences are between research in rhetoric
and composition and research in technical communication? What parts of that
tradition can we draw on?
* What curricular requirements should exist for our graduate students?
How should our graduate students be taught research methods? Should there be a
research agenda be in technical communication?

This special guest issue will be guest edited by Patricia Goubil-Gambrell, who
encourages you to communicate with her about ideas, proposals, and drafts:

Patricia Goubil-Gambrell
Mail Stop 3091
Department of English
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, TX 79409-3091

gktcq -at- ttacs -dot- ttu -dot- edu
Office: 806/ 742-2541
FAX: 806/ 742-0989

Please send a 500 word description of the proposed paper by June 1, 1996. The
deadline for submission of papers is December 1, 1996. The special issue will
be published Summer 1997.