Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 11:03:20 -0600

<snip>
>If they decide that the only people worthy of certification are
> those with an MS in Technical Communication, 15 years experience and most
> recent salary in excess of $100,000, many of us won't qualify. How

I've been silently observing this certification discussion, and I really
don't intend to offer an opinion at this point, other than to ask a
question and make some observations. First the question: who the heck
has suggested that a person's salary would ever enter into the
certification process?

This discussion reminds me of the debate over the Equal Rights Amendment
some years ago. Opponents of the amendment raised all sorts of
groundless objections: women will be forced to fight on the front lines,
bathrooms will become unisex, etc., ad nauseum. The bottom line was that
emotional attacks won the day, and a simple statement that women would
not be denied equal protection under the law was not added to the U.S.
Constitution.

I don't mean to suggest that the certification discussion is anywhere
near as momentous as the ERA debate, but I would like to ask that we try
to keep the discussion as rational and focussed as possible. Straw man
arguments accomplish nothing other than muddying the waters, raising the
tide of hysteria to even greater heights (certification requirements
could include having a four year degree, I don't have a four year
degree, I won't be certified, I'll lose my job, I'll lose my house, the
world as we know it will come to an end). OK, I'm exaggerating here, but
I hope you get my point.

I wonder what exactly certification would entail? Does anyone know this?
I don't believe that STC has made any formal proposal of certification
requirements, and the possible requirements bandied about on this list
have been vague at best. To facilitate this discussion, perhaps
proponents of certification could make some concrete suggestions of
certification requirements. Then we could discuss THOSE suggested
requirements, rather than introducing with each post new horror stories
about the possible results of certification.

That might be a good starting point for a fruitful discussion. Just a
suggestion. Hope I haven't offended anyone.

Regards,
Steve

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation svictor -at- compassnet -dot- com
15150 Memorial Drive http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html
Houston, TX 77079 USA De gustibus non disputandum est