Re: TW on the development team

Subject: Re: TW on the development team
From: George Allaman <gallama -at- LOOKOUT -dot- ECTE -dot- USWC -dot- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 15:21:10 -0700

On Fri, 5 Jan 1996, Robert Plamondon wrote:

> Many engineers were apparently raised by wolves. Such engineers'
> basic reaction to things they don't understand is to declare them
> "irrelevant," and snub both the task and those who perform it, which
> is hardly the act of a civilized being. (I take it back -- they
> were apparently raised by *dysfunctional* wolves.)

> Writers need to add "Are the engineers grown-ups? Do they have
> enough socialization to cope with the ordinary demands of their
> profession?" to their list of things to evaluate when considering
> a new employer.

> (There are, believe it or not, plenty of gracious, civilized engineers
> out there. But they aren't evenly distributed.)

I resemble this. I are a engineer.

I would venture to say that engineers as a class (no reference to manners or
object oriented intended) don't have a huge problem with social skills.
Computer Science engineers and developers, however, are a different kettle of
fish. Call us names, but I think the same selfish behaviour is true of any
class that considers another class "support". Especially when management
doesn't discourage it. Ask any secretary.

|George Allaman | |
|Tech Writer | <clever, meaningful |
|Denver, Colorado | quip which somehow |
|Office (303) 624-1619 | summarizes my life |
|Home (303) 771-8060 | philosophy> |
|Alternate: georgea -at- csn -dot- net | |