Best dictionary? -Reply

Subject: Best dictionary? -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 14:39:25 -0800

To Tom Kiersted and anyone else who cares. My method for dictionary
evaluation is to compile some sort of a list of words that I would
either want the dictionary to define (terabyte might be one) or would
expect the dictionary to clearly explain (like maybe the difference
between access and excess or what to think about comprise and
comprised of). Then I would go to the store and look up these words
in the books for sale. If I like what I see, I buy.

For tech dictionaries I might expand my search to the book offerings
of the professional society for the discipline of my engineers. For
computer dictionaries, it's the discount shops. You might posibly
borrow or visit a tech dictionary from your local public or
university library, if that's convenient.

PS: Don't give up on finding a hard cover dictionary (especially the
standard English type) without looking for sales and checking the
discounters.

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com

>>> Tom T Kiersted/asf <Tom_T_Kiersted/asf -at- ASF-NOTES -dot- FOUNDRY -dot- COM> -
1/5/96 6:21 AM >>>
I'm looking for suggestions. I'm going to be buying some dictionaries
and a technical dictionary for our office. The dictionaries should be
a "best buy" kind of thing, cheap-o paperbacks.

Any consensus?