Urban.legends.litigation?

Subject: Urban.legends.litigation?
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 15:01:00 PST

Someone wrote:

>I heard about a similarly ridiculous case about a guy who chose to trim
>his hedges--with his lawnmower!

I've heard these and many others--but never from anyone who knew anyone
involved or who could provide documentation. Just like I've heard the
Neiman-Marcus $250 cookie recipe, alligators in the sewers, and microwaved
puppies. I would certainly like to read the decision regarding the guy who
ran in the refrigerator race. I'd bet a cookie that there's more than we're
hearing about.

If anyone tries to make you turn a usable document into warning-littered
sludge ask them to cite the specific court decision that (they think)
requires such asinine things. And then don't hold your breath.

The "outrageous" cases that make the press (like the McDonald's hot coffee
in the lap) always have a lot more too them than can fit into a 7 second
newsbite or 30 second story. I have yet to find a case where the decision
didn't make a lot more sense when you looked into it further (such as *gasp*
reading the decision, which is now easier than ever).

John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)

The Bill of Rights -- The ORIGINAL Contract with America
Beware of Imitations. Accept No Substitutes. Insist on the Genuine Articles.