Re: Tech Writing vs. Programming salaries

Subject: Re: Tech Writing vs. Programming salaries
From: George Allaman <gallama -at- LOOKOUT -dot- ECTE -dot- USWC -dot- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 14:17:36 -0700

On Fri, 5 Jan 1996, Arlen P. Walker wrote:

> Another thing I would also question, is why, when programmers get
> paid a considerably better wage than writers do, a programmer would
> *want* to do the tech writing. It isn't like any of the source
> writing they are taught (whether it be self taught or schooled).

> Because putting words together coherently is also (perhaps even more)
> satisfying?

{snip}

> But I also get a rush out of seeing comprehension spread across the face of
> someone reading my words, knowing that I've explained something new to
> them; that their knowledge of the world around them has increased, thanks,
> in some part at least, to me. I know it sounds corny; I can't help it. I
> get a big kick out of turning on a light in what has so far been to someone
> else a darkened room.

Arlen, you articulate turkey, where we these heartwarming words when we
had the "Boring Discussions" thread and everybody was giving testimony on
why they liked/didn't like tech writing?

Written like a gentleperson, sir!

|George Allaman | |
|Tech Writer | <clever, meaningful |
|Denver, Colorado | quip which somehow |
|Office (303) 624-1619 | summarizes my life |
|Home (303) 771-8060 | philosophy> |
|Alternate: georgea -at- csn -dot- net | |