Re: Comma splQuote Marks (Was: )

Subject: Re: Comma splQuote Marks (Was: )
From: "Huber, Mike" <Mike -dot- Huber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 12:28:50 -0500

In many technical documents, the text between the parenthesis
represents text to be displayed or interpreted by software.
Since the software may require arbitrary (and often
non-grammatical) punctuation, there is a common standard
that puts punctuation of the quoted text inside the marks, and
punctuation of the sentence outside.

In this standard, the sentence
First select "Edit", and then select "Cut".
is correct, and
First select "Edit," and then select "Cut."
is incorrect, unless the software literally shows
Edit,
and
Cut.

In this example, it doesn't make much sense. But consider:
Type "12-AZ,*," and then press the enter key.
Should the operator include that final comma, or not?

It's a bit ugly, but it's not a matter of sloppiness, and often not
a writer's choice.