USEAGE: Unquote/End quote

Subject: USEAGE: Unquote/End quote
From: Tom T Kiersted/asf <Tom_T_Kiersted/asf -at- ASF-NOTES -dot- FOUNDRY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 11:20:49 EDT

Rex Stout's grammar maven/private eye Nero Wolfe had fits when people used
"unquote" claiming that it was a corruption of the proper "end quote." Does
anyone know if he was right or wrong? If not for today, for the turn of the
century or some other time in English's contemporary history? "End quote" wins
on my ear test, though I'm certain "unquote" wins by an overwhelming majority
in my anecdotal experience of common usage.