How long does it take you?

Subject: How long does it take you?
From: Wolf Lahti <wduby -at- PACCAR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 10:30:03 -0800

Tracy Boyington said

>How do you estimate how long it will take to complete a project? What
>criteria do you use? What are your benchmarks?

I've always been terrible at estimating time to complete a project or any
portion of one. Fortunately this hasn't been a problem because I'm
apparently speedier than average. Former managers have given me assignments
that they estimate would take, for instance, three days to a week, and I've
typically had it done for them in a matter of hours.

However nice this may be, it does not contribute to a good sense of task
estimating.

"I hate quotations!"
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson