Re: Representing Computer Interactions (was "comma splices")

Subject: Re: Representing Computer Interactions (was "comma splices")
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 15:29:46 -0800

At 10:50 AM 1/10/96, George Allaman wrote:
[snip]
>Select File:Open:SOME.FIL

>It's concise, and great when the menu structure is deep or you need to
>combine several operations into one statement, like here:

>Select Print:Options:Portrait:Close:Select:Default Printer:Close:OK

>The colon is arbitrary. A dash, semicolon or asterisk would work as well.

>Any comments?

I started using an arrow (Select File -> Open) when I started
documenting GUI products in 1992/3. I'm now starting in my third
company, and consequently choosing my third arrow style, since
then. OOOOOpppps -- forgot the contract design work I did --
fourth arrow style! It works very well for all levels of user.
(This I've tested, surveyed, and observed, so I can say for
sure). I only use it for menu selections, tho, not for
option (radio) button selection or command button clicking.

I've also seen the vertical bar used (Select File|Open), and
although this seems to be easily understood as well, I sense
that it stops the forward motion of your eye when you scan
the line (empirical evidence only, no proof) so it's less
readable than the arrow.

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com