Re: a grand example

Subject: Re: a grand example
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 08:20:40 -0500

>My favorite comes not from technical writing but from an old Mensa contest
>for the sentence ending in the greatest number of prepositions. I don't
>remember the whole thing, but it was something like:

>What did you bring the book I don't want to be read out of up for?

>Can anybody top that?

The version I learnt was "Why did you choose that book to be read to out of
from for?" It was supposed to have been said by a nurse to her charge.

Winston Churchill didn't get as many in when he objected to a convoluted
sentence, that had inelegantly avoided a final preposition: "This is the
sort of writing up with which I will not put."

David (the idiot) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson Phone (416) 363-6692
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com Fax (416) 363-4987
133 Wilton Street, #506
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 4A4