Re: Quote Marks

Subject: Re: Quote Marks
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 17:01:11 -0800

At 3:37 AM 1/9/96, Tracy Boyington wrote:

>So, while we're all here, let's come up with a good way to do this.
>I've used italics for things the user types,

Mostly I've used "computer voice" which is always a mono-
spaced font (usually courier) and sometimes bold. One
style guide I worked with specified no difference at all,
another one, just bold.

>small caps for keys
>(such as ENTER or F3),

Yup, me too.

>bold for menu commands.

Yup, me too.

>I'm not saying
>these are best; just that this is what I've used. And the punctuation
>situation has always bothered me. What does everybody else do?

I consistently leave the punctuation outside the quotation
marks unless it specifically punctuates the quotation.

Also, I'll do most anything to rewrite a sentence so that
a computer-command piece of punctuation (or word with embedded
punctuation) doesn't land right next to a sentence piece of
punctuation.

Sue Gallagher
Expersoft Corporation
San Diego, CA