Re: Paying by the word

Subject: Re: Paying by the word
From: K Watkins <KWATKINS -at- QUICKPEN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 13:41:00 -0300

Conflict of interest, indeed!

Upon request, as a demonstration, I once took twenty minutes to expand three
brief sentences from one of my own manuals - under 20 words - to be three
fairly long paragraphs, some 175 words. The original sentences were quite
sufficient for their purpose; everything I added (about $36 worth at $0.23
per word, or around $108/hour) was apparently germane but actually
extraneous.

I would never want to be in a position where the better I trimmed the fat as
I wrote, the less I got paid.

Anyone remember the quote I used on my first message in this group (source
still uncertain)? - "I am sorry to write such a long letter, but I did not
have time to make it shorter." This could be a new twist: "Sorry to
deliver such a verbose document, but my car engine needs rebuilding"!

K Watkins
kwatkins -at- quickpen -dot- com
speaking for myself, not my employers