Re: USAGE [sic]: Unquote/End Quote

Subject: Re: USAGE [sic]: Unquote/End Quote
From: Frederick Falk <ftf -at- ABM -dot- AUSTIN -dot- TX -dot- US>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 10:13:13 -0600

Instead of saying end quote, I say open quote and close quote.
I have also used the terms left paren and right paren for the
open and closed parenthesis. I don't think it really matters
if you say left or right, open or close, or begin or end,
unless your audience expects it a certain way. Other than
using audience as a rule, I would say be consistant through
out the document so as not to confuse. Anyone else have a
thought on this? Do any style guides address what *term* to
use to describe these special characters?

Frederick "Magic Fingers" Falk
ftf -at- abm -dot- austin -dot- tx -dot- us