Re: Library science

Subject: Re: Library science
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 22:15:39 -0500

At 02:49 PM 1/11/96 EST,Larry Kunz wrote:

<SNIP>

>If asked to describe in one sentence what distinguishes
>technical communication as a profession, most of us would say
>something like "A good technical writer communicates technically
>complex information using terminology and style appropriate for
>the target audience." (Someone -- again, I don't remember who
>-- actually DID say this on the list a few days ago.)

>Soon the Internet will give everyone access to all the
>information they need -- in every style, format, and reading
>level. Maybe our job will be to organize this vast information
>stockpile and help people navigate through it so they get what
>they want, when they want it, in the form (style, format,
>reading level) they want. Organizing information and providing
>navigation aids, of course, is what library science is about.

I'm not sure I agree that our job will be to organize this information.
Wouldn't we be much more involved in CREATING this information?

After all, how will the Internet give everyone access to information? The
information doesn't appear out of thin air. Someone creates it, and makes
it accessable on the Internet.

Then the library scientists can organize it, cross-reference it, index it,
or whatever it is they do so people can navigate their way through it.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor
Email: winday -at- idirect -dot- com