Re: Going Rate for Contract Writing

Subject: Re: Going Rate for Contract Writing
From: Herman Holtz <holtz -at- PALTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 08:58:24 UNDEFINED

In article <4d4e84$1qsk -at- usenetp1 -dot- news -dot- prodigy -dot- com> GGKQ45A -at- prodigy -dot- com (Ellen Zoccola) writes:
>From: GGKQ45A -at- prodigy -dot- com (Ellen Zoccola)
>Subject: Going Rate for Contract Writing
>Date: 12 Jan 1996 01:41:24 GMT

>I am considering taking on contract work producing technical
>documantation. My question to all who might know: What is the typical
>hourly rate I should propose? The grapevine says somewhere between $40
>and $50 per hour.

> Also, how do I handle the production cost of "soup to nuts" jobs where
>the client wants the finished product. Should this be on an expense
>basis or added on to my rate? I want to make sure I don't price myself
>out of the job. Thanks!

>Ellie Z.

I would make it a reimbursable expense, suitably marked up [overheaded], so
you do not unnecessarily inflate your rate and make it more difficult to sell.
- Herm

Herman Holtz [holtz -at- paltech -dot- com] -dot- Consulting & custom services
for marketing/writing needs: brochures, direct mail, ghosting,
proposals, manuals, other. Write, call for free estimates.
PO Box 1731, Wheaton, MD 20915; 301-649-2499; FAX 301-649-5745.