Re: Help - Negotiating a percentage

Subject: Re: Help - Negotiating a percentage
From: diane haugen <dhaugen -at- BARNESVILLE -dot- POLARISTEL -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 17:03:10 -0600

On 1/15/96, Emily Skarzenski asks:

I'm thinking that perhaps I could lower his up-front
investment in documentation by accepting a piece of the profits in
exchange for some (or all) of the cost of the doc.

Don't do it. My experience has been yes, individuals who are developing
products are always short of money to do so (yeah, he's a dentist, but you
are right that he will probably suffer from sticker shock), and they will
always tell you they don't have any money -- while they drive away in their
BMW.

More importantly, this dentist may well be a horrible marketer, and fail
for that reason, even if the product is good. You will have no say in how
it is marketed, even if he says you do.

Take the money and run.

Diane Haugen
Whiskey Creek Document Design
P.O. Box 69
Barnesville, MN 56514

dhaugen -at- barnesville -dot- polaristel -dot- net