Re: list of *good* books

Subject: Re: list of *good* books
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 21:59:00 PST

A current favorite is "Writing and Designing Online Documentation" by
William Horton (1994) John Wiley, NY. (It's at work and I'm quoting from
memory so that may not be the exact title.) These principles are good for
any kind of writing.

I would buy anything by Bill (William Horton) or Joann Hackos.

I also own "Mapping Hypertext" by Robert E. Horn, (to order call
1-800-890-7003) 1989. This book is a little odd, but I think a lot of the
information and ideas presented are useful to writing in general. This book
is put out by the Information Mapping people, but you can buy just the book.

I like the Chicago Manual of Style for its elegance, and the Government
Printing Office Manual of Style for its practicality. "Books Into Type" is
great, but you only need Chicago or BIT and I have Chicago.

I never refer to Strunk & White. They don't go into enough detail.

Don't use your old college grammar book. I don't know who writes these, but
they always have a few ideas that will get you in trouble. I suspect this
is the result of "publish or perish" in the academic community.

I am quick to buy books that help me learn about the product I am
documenting. That means I also have books about Unix, object-oriented
programming, and such. The more I understand the product the better I can
discuss it with my information sources and the better I can explain it to
the reader. This is one of my secrets of success.

Marilynne

Marilynne Smith
mrsmith -at- cts -dot- com