Re: Pronouncing initialisms/acronyms (was: e-mail)

Subject: Re: Pronouncing initialisms/acronyms (was: e-mail)
From: Loryn Jenkins <loryn -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 17:22:22 +1000

That's right, Stuart.
You said the rule is flaky. I said it is pretty valid *when* it
is applied to *spoken sounds*, not *written letters*.

On the second point, (an historical), I did say it was a British
usage. And you, obviously, are not British. Therefore, the
'rule' is even *more* regular for you.

(Have fun figuring it out!)
Loryn

Stuart Reynolds wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 17, 1996 4:10 AM, loryn wrote:
> >Try applying this rule to phonemic representations of words, rather than orthographic representations. You'll find that
"Uniform" does not begin with a vowel,
> Ummm.. Well, when I went to school, The letter "U" was a vowel. As in A, E, I, O, "U" and Y being an exception. So,
while it's *sound* is not that of the defi

> >The only exception to this rule I'm aware of is "an historical" usage that I've usually only noted in British
writing, ie., using it before a word starting wi