Re. $/word revisited

Subject: Re. $/word revisited
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 14:52:52 -0600

Forwarded to the list by permission of the author:

Geoff:
Please pass the following on to your anonymous friend:

>WHAT do we DO to quantify our production????? My boss will
>not rest until we have a statistic to measure.
I think this is a problem that your manager will have
to solve by himself. You can remind him that tech writers
and managers have struggled with this problem for many
years, with no solution.

The responses from the techwr-l list indicate that tech
writers (most of us are not managers) don't have any ideas.
Clearly, we in the rank and file don't have the brainpower
to come up with a solution. I guess that's why we're worker
bees and not managers. So, drop it back in his lap, that's
why he makes the big bucks. It's a management problem, as a
manager he should be the one working on it.

As your manager seems to believe that it's a solvable
problem, I suggest the following:
1) Allow him the opportunity to come up with a method.
2) Having solved the problem, he should then have the
opportunity to refine it into a "technique" that he can
copyright (much like Information Mapping Inc. has locked up
their page layout techniques).
3) Go into business selling the idea to tech pubs
organizations, on a consulting basis.
4) After getting rich on #3, retire to a life of leisure.

If he can do #1, he's sure to get to #4. It's that easy.
An alternative, of course, if he insists that -you- do it
is that you get rich, but instead of retiring to a life of
leisure you buy the company you work for. Then fire your
ex-boss.

Good luck.

Rick Lippincott
Boston Technology
Wakefield, MA
rjl -at- bostech -dot- com

Forwarded by...

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.