Re: Frame + Acrobat + Screen grabs

Subject: Re: Frame + Acrobat + Screen grabs
From: Ron Rothbart <ron -dot- rothbart -at- DOCUMENTUM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 09:54:29 +0800

>We are running Frame and Acrobat on PCs. We write in Frame, then create
>an online version of the manual using Acrobat.
>Our problem is that screen grabs, which are bitmaps, look fine in Frame
>but terrible when they get to Acrobat.
>Sally Yeo

I have the same issue. The screenshots look better if you zoom in on them,
but that's not great consolation. And PDFs look different on different
computers. For example, on one computer screenshots showed grayscale, on
another the same screenshots displayed black and white, and some gray turned
green!

There are various ways to create the PDF. I experimented and found that
using PDF Writer to make the PostScript produced better output than first
making a PostScript and then running it through Acrobat Distiller. However,
I think Frame 5 wants you to make a PostScript if you use the Acrobat Setup
in the Print Document dialog. Experiment and see what works best for you. In
any case, I think PDF technology just doesn't do a good job with bitmaps,
whatever the format (I use PCX). It's better than nothing, but were still a
long way from a viewing medium that approaches the quality of print on paper.

On the other hand, the Acrobat Exchange hypertext outline of contents and
the Frame 5 Acrobat Setup feature that allows you to automaticallly link
(hypertext) your TOC, Index, and cross-references is pretty cool.