Re: Online Help Tools

Subject: Re: Online Help Tools
From: "James M.Lockard" <norton -at- MCS -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 15:07:42 -0600

Merrie asks, "What are people using as their online help tool?"

I've used Robohelp in the past, but I must say that I dislike the
traditional Winhelp authoring tools altogether. I find those tools
restrictive and clumsy.

I'm currently using a product called Guide Passport to create online
documentation. Passport is far more flexible than any Winhelp authoring
tool I've used. Best of all, you don't have to wait for the files to
compile. There's no ambiguity between what you see when you're authoring
and what your readers will see. Although I haven't tried it, I'm told by
Passport's manufacturer that their product can also be used to create
online help by creating context sensitive "links" from the application.
That's an awfully attractive option.

My question: How significant is the departure from the standard Winhelp
interface?

I can mimic a winhelp file in most ways but, due to the nature of the
run-time reader program, there are bound to be some differences. How much
do you think these differences will affect the user?

James Lockard
norton -at- mcs -dot- net

"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant."
-- Horton the Elephant