Re: Redundancy...

Subject: Re: Redundancy...
From: "James M.Lockard" <norton -at- MCS -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 22:47:50 -0600

Robert Plamondon writes:

I don't think that I've ever seen first draft of a piece of marketing
literature that didn't say "Our product is used to do something" instead
of "Our product does something" in the first paragraph.

I fear I may be stating the obvious, but there is another difference
between those two phrases. "Our product does something," can be troublesome
when the product is a tool. For example, I could say "Our product is used
to produce spreadsheets," or "Our product produces spreadsheets." The first
phrase suggests that the user produces spreadsheets using the product, but
the latter suggests that the product itself produces them. I may be picking
nits. I just have trouble saying that a software tool _does_ something when
it's actually the software user who is doing.

YMMV,
James Lockard
norton -at- mcs -dot- net

"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant."
-- Horton the Elephant