Re: List of Good Books

Subject: Re: List of Good Books
From: Herman Holtz <holtz -at- PALTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 08:16:21 UNDEFINED

In article <s0ff5ee3 -dot- 005 -at- fromGW> Marci Andrews <Marci_Andrews -at- novell -dot- com> writes:
>From: Marci Andrews <Marci_Andrews -at- novell -dot- com>
>Subject: re:List of Good Books
>Date: 19 Jan 1996 10:07:22 -0600

>Frederick Falk included my name on his list...

>My most-consulted books are
>1 The Chicago Manual of Style
>2 Merriam Webster's Dictionary
>3 Merriam Webster's Dictionary of English Usage
>in addition to various house style guides and style sheets for our products.

>I too would recommend anything by Horton, and anything by Brockmann.

>When I have a sticky grammatical or syntactical problem that Chicago doesn't
>help me enough to solve, I consult my college grammar handbooks. I don't use
>just one, for the reasons Marilynne Smith cited; I look in all of them and then
>figure out a workable solution. My old Harper & Row's Understanding Grammar
>by Paul Roberts (1954) helps me a lot. The others include 6 editions of Harbrace
>(don't ask me why I collected these), Lucile Vaughan Payne's The Lively Art of
>Writing, Strunk & White, 2 different Norton handbooks, and Trimble's Writing
>With Style. Sometimes I check my History of the Language and other Old
>English grammar books, but that's because I did OE as part of a PhD program
>and it's still interesting to me.

>If my basement suddenly got flooded, I'd try to save my OED...

>Hope this list is useful.

>Marci Andrews, editor
>Novell, Inc.
>mandrews -at- novell -dot- com

There are lots of good books on the subject, as well as two
controlled-circulation periodicals (DM NEWS and Target Marketing). Herschell
Lewis, a highly regarded copywriter, is the author of at least two good books
on the subject. One of his on my own shelf is Direct Mail Copy that SELLS,
Prentice-Hall. Bob Bly is another author to look for. (He is the author of
several books, including The Perfect Sales Piece, Wiley.] Also books by Julian
Simon. My own efforts in this field are Great Promo Pieces and The Ditrect
Marketer's Work Book, both published by Wiley. - Herm

Herman Holtz [holtz -at- paltech -dot- com] -dot- Consulting & custom services
for marketing/writing needs: brochures, direct mail, ghosting,
proposals, manuals, other. Write, call for free estimates.
PO Box 1731, Wheaton, MD 20915; 301-649-2499; FAX 301-649-5745.