Re: What's with the new docs?

Subject: Re: What's with the new docs?
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 13:30:34 -0800

>Yes, but what does this hold for the future of the rest of us who are
>writing computer user documentation? Are we on the way out? I think
>third-party books are great, but my point is that they are becoming
>the ONLY documentation in some cases.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the rest of us." As I've said before on this
list, I don't think that in-house paper software manuals have much future.
Most of "us" are learning how to produce online help, web pages, multimedia
presentations, and whatever else new technologies make possible.

There are many ways of packaging and delivering technical information.
Technical communicators are in a dynamic field. If you get too comfortable
and forget to look around every so often, you may suddenly find yourself
unemployable. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro