Re: Why We Need Good Software Manuals

Subject: Re: Why We Need Good Software Manuals
From: Karen Gwynn/Datatel <Karen_Gwynn -at- DATATEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 12:03:01 EDT

Ginger Jones wrote:

Maybe I'm weird, but as a user I want it ALL explained. I don't want
one tidbit left out of my manual. What items would you leave out?
What is unimportant to one person, may be crucial to another.

And I agree with Jane Bergen--I *want* that manual so I can write all
over it. I have to admit I was a little taken aback when I opened my
MS Office 95 box and found one manual.

No, Ginger, not weird, just one of the many different types of users out there
in the wonderful world of computers!

And therein lies the rub! How in the #$% -at- ! do we, as technical writers, provide
documentation that satisfies all these different types of users (different
learning styles, different levels of knowledge, different levels of skill,
different requirements for using our products???) Oy! it hurts my poor
overflowing head to just think about it!!

Karen Gwynn
kwg -at- datatel -dot- com