Warning, Will Robinson: Doc-to-Help & McAfee Virus Scan

Subject: Warning, Will Robinson: Doc-to-Help & McAfee Virus Scan
From: Dan Glovier <dan -at- COYOTE -dot- TSH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:16:45 -0600

Greetings,

(I know many of you out there use Doc-to-Help, so I thought I would
relay this information.)

Recently, in an effort to practice safe computing, I purchased and installed
McAfee Virus Scan (version 2.2.7). They have an "Anti-Macro Virus" portion
to it as well (mvtool10.exe). On a whim (Hey, I'm curious!) I ran
this executable. No menu appeared. I was given no choice. This puppy
was installing itself where it wanted to.

The next time I tried to save a Word document that was using a Doc-to-Help
template, I couldn't save it. I couldn't format it into help. I couldn't
even view the Doc-to-Help markings. After some research, I figured out
that these two software packages do not work and play well with each
other.

Once I removed the Anti-Macro Virus bits, all was well. (BTW, the
removal of these bits was well documented in the manual, so it
was pretty easy.)

Warningly yours,
Dan Glovier
dglovier -at- tsh -dot- com