Re: Challenge to active-verb advocates

Subject: Re: Challenge to active-verb advocates
From: DLE -at- ALPHA -dot- SUNQUEST -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 16:10:44 -0700

The original sentence:

The leaves on the sidewalk were kicked and scattered by passing feet.

A number of people have recast the sentence with an active verb, i.e.:
The people walking by kicked the leaves on the sidewalk, scattering them tp
the four winds.

What if "leaves" constitute the focus of the sentence? In other words, what
if we wish to describe leaves? What if leaves cannot take any action on
their own? Suppose that we want to point out the passive nature of leaves?
Oh, yeah--forgot to append my name on original posting:
Donna Ellis
dle -at- alpha -dot- sunquest -dot- com