Re: Need some advice

Subject: Re: Need some advice
From: TPotter243 -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 21:55:43 -0500

In a message dated 96-01-24 03:41:28 EST, Alan -dot- Roy -at- freenet -dot- hamilton -dot- on -dot- ca
(Alan Roy) writes:

>What skills (besides the obvious) are needed to get hired in the field?

I'd list some helpful skills in the following order:
1. an enjoyment of writing
2. expertise in the field in which you hope to write
3. the ability to market yourself

>Are there any platforms or software packages that I really MUST know?

Everyone has their favorite application, and all have their good and bad
points. However, you won't go wrong if you learn both WordPerfect and
Microsoft Word. Once you learn one of them, the other will be easy to pick
up.

>How about a certificate or degree? Is it necessary? Will it help?

This probably isn't a requirement; however, I doubled my salary within 2
months after I got my degree. I definitely believe it will help. It's not
just the sheepskin; you will actually learn a lot in school that you can use.

>Should I put together some sort of "portfolio" to show at interviews?

Yes. It will help in marketing yourself. It is proof of what you can do.

If so, what is an acceptable format?

The specific format is not as important as keeping it simple and uncluttered.
The more professional looking it is; the better you will look. Other members
of this group can give you better advice on specific format than I.

Good Luck!

Tom Potter
Houston, TX
TPotter243 -at- aol -dot- com