bioavailability (medical)

Subject: bioavailability (medical)
From: Brad DeMond <bdemond -at- SUMS -dot- SHIGA-MED -dot- AC -dot- JP>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 20:24:24 +0900

I recently came across the word "bioavailable" in some pharmaceutical
material I was reviewing. Is this a currently popular synonym for
"efficacy," or does "bioavailable" denote something more, e.g. the speed at
which the drug is metabolized, takes effect, etc.?

Context sentence: [drug name] is a more bioavailable form of [chemical
formulation], and achieves systemic exposure previously attainable only
with I.V. [drug name]

Any help appreciated.

Brad