Screen Capture in DOS

Subject: Screen Capture in DOS
From: Stan Brown <stbrown -at- NACS -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 10:40:39 -0500

Scripsit sherron -at- HERRON -dot- CTEXT -dot- COM in TECHWR-L Digest:

>Salve populi,

>I need a way to capture a graphical display from the video screen
>running in DOS, and save it as a manipulable file such as *.bmp,
>*.pcx, or even *.eps.

>My usual work environment is OS/2, but the application in question
>will only run in a DOS full screen session.

>I'd appreciate any information leading to the arrest and conviction of:
>1) A screen capture program that runs in DOS.
>b) A way to make PRINT SCREEN print to a file.

The SimTel software repository is usually a good place to search for
things like this. You can access it by
ftp://ftp.coast.net/SimTel/msdos/
or http://www.coast.net/SimTel/

One of these should do the trick:

SimTel/msdos/gif/
scr2gif2.zip 27520 8 900927 Capture EGA/VGA screens, then convert to GIF

SimTel/msdos/graphics/
pcxut.zip 69410 8 901223 PCX screen capture & viewing programs

SimTel/msdos/printer/
lpt2dsk.zip 6873 8 870325 Capture LPT output to a disk file

SimTel/msdos/screen/
scthf158.zip 137474 8 950925 ScreenThief: Screen capture to GIF/PCX/TIF/BMP

SimTel/msdos/vga/
vga2eps.zip 33963 8 920807 Capture VGA 640x350/640x480 screen to EPS file

>Extra points for creativity awarded for not ending your reply with
>"Hope this helps."

Done.

Regards,
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems Cleveland, Ohio USA +1 216 371-0043
email: stbrown -at- nacs -dot- net Web: http://www.nacs.net/~stbrown