Re: Quality/validation

Subject: Re: Quality/validation
From: "Bernard A. McCann" <bi975 -at- FREENET -dot- CARLETON -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 18:25:51 GMT

snip, snip ...

> We are trying to get a formalized proofing/editing/QA-ing > process off
the ground for my group of technical and > marketing writers. I have
sort-of/kind-of been put in place > as an editor, but my role to this
point has not been very > clearly defined. > > We just finished a major
project, and it was pretty > gruesome at the end. We had some developers

snip, snip ...

Hi! I've just joined this group, so please forgive me if I cover any old
ground (I'm sure that I will).

What isn't clear from the subject posting is the qualifications of all
involved (?).

Quality Assurance includes Usability testing but isn't solely that. If
the technical writers (or should we say, in this case, engineering
writers?) are not graduate engineers or technologists then that is problem
#1. If the editing staff are not language graduates (BA minimum) that is
problem #2. If the QA personnel don't have both of these qualifications,
that is problem #3.

Having worked in industry for many years, it was never my experience to
see the QA Departments ever involved with publications (they were never
qualified) We did our own QA. Is that the case here, I wonder?

I was always amused when any engineer tried to argue "grammar" with my MA
English Language editor! ;-)

Conclusion: Qualifications?

--
_/
_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ "Caesar had perished from the world of men