Help with sub/superscript identifiers

Subject: Help with sub/superscript identifiers
From: "Camp, Mary" <campm -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 17:10:28 -0500

I'd like your opinions on how to handle this situation.

There's a resource called R that can be defined with a direction, Ri for
Resource input and Ro for resource output (pretend the i & o are
subscripts, please).

There can be more than one resource in a particular direction. The
engineer who's writing the code has decided to label these as Ri1
(imagine the 1 is superscript over the subscripted i) and Ri2 (ditto).

This is confusing to read, altho you can adjust to it, but why bother?
The engineer is willing to change the labeling if I can come up with
something different/better. Please help!
I'm sure one or more of you has come up with a brilliant solution to this
and would love to share it with us (at least I hope so).

Personal responses are ok, but as a habitual lurker I like posted answers
best.
Thanks,
Mary Camp
campm -at- dialogic -dot- com