Subject: Responses on Optimum Page Size Question
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 16:50:17 -0500

Stuart Burnfield and others have collected various line length
recommendations from various sources. Several of these, quoted in
characters, e.g. 1 1/2 alphabets, don't specify upper or lower case.

If we take 6 characters for a word and its following spece, which is about
right for English, these vary from around 20 chars (3 1/3 words) to 72 chars
(12 words).

This allows plenty of flexibility, but I'd aim for somewhere in the middle.
I certainly find many newspaper columns uncomfortably narrow.

David (the idiot) Ibbetson
end

David Ibbetson Phone (416) 363-6692
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com Fax (416) 363-4987
133 Wilton Street, #506
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 4A4