Re: Inteviewing Skills (was Re: Help w/TW skills

Subject: Re: Inteviewing Skills (was Re: Help w/TW skills
From: Karen Kay <karenkay -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 14:10:54 -0800

Marcia Coulter wrote:
>LynnDianne Beene <lbeene -at- UNM -dot- EDU> wrote:
>> Interviewing skills keep showing up as primary. Other than
>> trial and error (which is the way I learned to talk to
>> scientists, businesspeople, etc.),
>> how does one go about honing this skill?

>Interviewing skills are *critical*. So much so, that six years ago I
>took 24 days of intensive communications training.

One of things I would do for students is talk to them about their own
education. I learned how to interview SME's as an inquisitive
undergraduate student. Most students will do at least some of this
during their time in college. I think talking about what they already
do is useful--makes the task seem less foreign and/or difficult.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com