Re: Manuals on CD-ROM

Subject: Re: Manuals on CD-ROM
From: Tim O'Neill <budjit -at- DATAPLUSNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:25:13 -0600

Charles Good wrote:

> There are lots of ways to convert files intended for paper publication
> into CD-ROM ready files for pressing. For example, Interleaf is a
> well respected desktop publishing system. They have a product called
> WorldView Press that can take a set of Interleaf documents/books
> and convert the auto reference tags into links, then parse the
> collection into a CD-ROM ready product.

> However, a lot has been written about the evils of simply converting
> files for print into softbooks. Many people feel you compromise the
> real power of the CD-ROM viewer/navigator, as well as short change
> the customer in terms of quality of presentation and competitive
> functionality.
>!--remaining narrative deleted-->

In an Interleaf Worldview project I worked on a couple years ago, we created two differently formatted sets of print
documentation and CD-ROM documentation from the same files simply by using Interleaf's book catalog feature. It is simply a
matter of Worldview Press looking at different configuration files at run-time.

One manual was formatted to be printed with a trimmed size of 5 x 7 inches. The same files also needed to be printed for
inclusion in a 3-ring binder...8.5 x 11. And the final run was set of for optimal screen rendering @ VGA resolution. The
autogenerated TOC and Indexes were used for the front end/main menu.

Choose a printer that uses Interleaf in pre-press and they likely have "catalogs" or configuration files (if you prefer),
already set up for their presses, copiers, or docutechs.

--
|Tim O'Neill New Media Publishing Services|
|BudJit Graphics budjit -at- dataplusnet -dot- com|