Re: TW Skills and TW Students/New Writers

Subject: Re: TW Skills and TW Students/New Writers
From: Anne Weiler <annew -at- CHANCERY -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 09:36:38 -0700

I think the important thing to notice here is that John said writing
skills are important. I disagree with Jane that teaching them team skills,
interviewing skills, etc. would be a disservice. These skills can be
applied to all facets of technical writing. (I dare say if some marketing
writers did more interviewing, perhaps marketing literature would be more
accurate). Also, the original poster said that THESE students wanted to
become professional writers and editors; if this is the case wouldn't they
be taking more writing courses than just a technical writing course.
Therefore, shouldn't the technical writing course have some sort of focus
of how to do scientific research, and include examples of how to do
technical writing for different industries/audiences. I'd hope the
students were getting some basic writing skills in all their writing
courses, not just in a technical writing course.

<snip> Jane wrote:
> Sorry to echo the entire message but I think it's important. I taught
> at the university level and want to give some feedback here.

> I DO think clear writing is the most important for THESE students. To
> concentrate on the skills John mentions would be a disservice to them.

<snip>

--
Anne Weiler --annew -at- chancery -dot- com
Media Development