Re. Usage of K(ilo)

Subject: Re. Usage of K(ilo)
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 12:14:12 -0600

Interesting thread on the 1024 vs. 1000 designation for K.
From personal experience, I've never heard anyone use the
1024 value other than in a computer context... it's always
1000. Even computer users often forget the narrower
definition and assume 1000. Based on this experience, I
write and edit to assume k=1000 unless I'm writing for
programmers or other computer jockeys; if the difference is
important (e.g., to calculate required storage), I also
specify which version I've chosen.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.