Re: what do you mean, Other English Versions?

Subject: Re: what do you mean, Other English Versions?
From: "Cheverie, Paul [Cont]" <paul -dot- cheverie -at- GPO -dot- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 14:02:00 EST

John,
Sorry, you've flubbed the capitalization of Newton in Newton-meter. The
abbreviation for it is actually N-m. This is in accordance with the
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms (Fifth Edition) and
the Chambers Science and Technology Dictionary
Paul C
paul -dot- cheverie -at- gpo -dot- canada -dot- cdev -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: what do you mean, Other English Versions?
Date: Monday, February 05, 1996 9:41AM

>>>Jim Vinokuroff and Tim Altom correctly identified the newton-metre as the
SI
unit for torque, but lose points for capitalizing newton. The correct
conversion factor, which I had previously flubbed in a private mail to Stan
Radowski, is 1 ft-lb = 1.35582 n-m OR 1 n-m = 0.73756 ft-lb. In the original
example, 45 in-lb +/- 5 in-lb works out to 5.1 +/- 0.56 n-m. In the real
world, we would probably use 5.0 +/- 0.5 n-m. So far, I have seen torque
wrenches calibrated in in-oz, ft-lb, and n-m, but never in-lb.<<<

John -dot- Renish -at- Conner -dot- com
My comments are my own and do not represent Conner Peripherals