Re: Word Macro Virus

Subject: Re: Word Macro Virus
From: John Posada <jposada -at- NOTES -dot- CC -dot- BELLCORE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 14:44:13 -0500

Greetings from soggy San Jose!

Does anyone out there know if the infamous Microsoft Word Macro Virus can
infect Word templates and docs on the Mac? There does not seem to be a
vaccine, so I am assuming it is not a problem.

-------------------------

The "Prank" virus will infect both .dot and .doc documents in any flavor of
Word 6.X and 7.X including Windows, Mac, NT and 95

It is not really a virus, but more a trojan horse.

BTW...It's actually a macro, not a virus.

There is a vaccine. It's a file called scan831.doc

Contact Microsoft and ask for it. The details can be found in Microsoft's
Product Support Services Application Note 8/95 Rev 2 - WD1215 called Prank
Macro: Cleanup and Prevention.

BTW...the Prank macro is a real pain in the butt, but does not cause you to
loose information.

John Posada
Technical Writer
Bell Communications Research, Piscataway, NJ
(908) 699-5839 (W)
jposada -at- notes -dot- cc -dot- bellcore -dot- com (W)
I don't speak for my employer and they return the favor