Re: HTML and printed doc from one source

Subject: Re: HTML and printed doc from one source
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 12:19:22 -0700

Please remember that my chief concern is not those who use Acrobat
for its intended purpose. My concern is with those who think
Acrobat can REPLACE the Web.

>>>You can use Acrobat to distribute a document on the web while retaining
>>>its exact paper look.

>>Cool! But why would I want to do this? On-line documentation
>>development is not driven by its relative look and feel to hard copy.
>>Web documentation is driven by it's connection to the Internet.

>Because not all on-line documents are meant to be read on line.

If the document was not meant to be read on line, it should not be
designed and built to be an on-line document.

>The Internet can serve a pure distribution function as well.

In this case, you could just as easily distribute Word5 files and
skip converting them to PDF. Not every company gives a darn that
their customers might not use Word5.

The Web (as distinct from the Internet) allows the interactive display of
self-modifying documents. That is, the document is constantly in motion.
IMHO, there is only one reason why people should use Acrobat - because a
lot of static documents already exist. Once you wave a magic wand and
instantly make all the PDF documents available, the Web is still moving.

Let's see if I can state this another way. IMHO, technology is now moving
faster than the rate at which hard copy documents can be iterated. Thus,
20 years or so in the future, every Tech Writer in the US will be out of
a job - unless we adapt to the Web, or its future equivalent.

David (Call me Cassandra) Blyth ;)
Technical Writer
QUALCOMM