Re: Request for change

Subject: Re: Request for change
From: Kent Newton <KentN -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 15:26:00 PST

Eric and List,

You are the list owner and, I presume, the person who originated the list
in the first place. You would know the issues you originally wanted to
discuss on the list. I agree there are very important issues to discuss,
those issues that keep us awake at night. But the other issues, the
little issues, are important as well; they, too, make up a portion of our
jobs. I agree too much time has been spent on whether the 21st century
begins in 2000 or 2001, or when to use "which" or "that," or what "k" or
"K" stands for, or whether to use passive or active voice. Anyone can
look up these answers in a number of good reference materials. But
still, discussing them (to a limited extent) helps people get to know
each other and trust each other when those big issues are discussed.

Some big issues have been discussed on the list in the two weeks since
I'be subscribed to it: whether it is possible to combine both user and
training materials in one document, how best to convert paper manuals to
an electronic format and how to distribute them after they are converted,
how to implement documentation control, and so on. This is the first
we've read about your upcoming project (which sounds like a killer, to
me). I'm sure the members on the list would love to discuss this, if you
would give us the particulars.

I think there are two reasons why these big issues are not discussed as
much as the smaller ones.

First, these kinds of issues are often time-critical and time-consuming.
When we are thrust into the situation like the one you mentioned, we are
too busy trying to complete the project to spend a lot of time on-line
discussing the particulars. We have to roll up our sleeves and get to
work. (If you had had the time, I'm sure you would have asked for our
imput on your project before now.) Only after it is over do we have the
luxury to discuss what we've done, which is too late for the current
project. It does, however, prepare other users for similar projects. It
also helps us to analyze what we did, to disect what was successful and
what was not.

Second, after two or three weeks involved in a difficult project, we'd
rather take a break from it and dabble with the smaller issues, the
issues that do not put such a drain on us, the niggling little day-to-day
things.

In short, I agree that there are critical topics we could discuss, which
I think we do to a degree. I also think, however, that there is a place
for discussing the smaller issues that also make up the daily life of a
technical writer (though, maybe not to the extent we have on some recent
topics). I have found the list helpful for my looming big issue
(converting to electronic documentation to be distributed on CD-ROM) and
entertaining and diverting on some of the smaller issues.

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer
Metrix, Inc.
kentn -at- metrix-inc -dot- com

PS, If you'd care to go into a little more detail about your current
project, I'm sure you'll get feedback from the list. Some of it may even
be helpful! I may not contribute, since I have no experience in crossing
documentation and training yet (especially in such a tight time-frame) --
but there is talk about our department taking over the creation of the
training materials, so I'll read the thread avidly.