Various HTML issues

Subject: Various HTML issues
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 12:44:31 -0800

Hi Alexander;

>Originally, HTML was mostly about tagging the contents of a document.
>Look at the HTML 1.1 tags and you see what I mean.

I have and I do see what you mean.

>If you wish to control exactly how your document is displayed,
> you should insert PDF (Acrobat) files or somethingg like this.

Ah, but a year or so ago, customers *wanted* to use a more
sophisticated form of HTML to do their formatting, not Acrobat.
This may or may not have been an insanely stupid thing to do, but
customers wanted it anyway.

See other threads for the various pros/cons of HTML and Acrobat.
In the meantime, the customer is always right.

>I could imagine to build a framework using HTML documents which
>include PDF documents.

Agreed. And it's already available by using Netscape 2.0 with
Adobe Amber. I highly recommend this as a good product.

But now that HTML/PDF frameworks are present technology, I'm trying
to look at the future. And the Great Prophet's prediction is
interactive, self-modifying HTML documents changing on-the-fly. ;)

David (Just call me Cassandra) Blyth
Technical Writer
QUALCOMM