Chinese Character Fonts for Windows?

Subject: Chinese Character Fonts for Windows?
From: "Brennan, Walt" <wbrennan -at- SMTPGATE -dot- LEVEL1 -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 17:25:00 PST

Hello Techwhirlers,

I'd appreciate some information/education about Chinese languages.
We've had some press releases translated by a wire service, but all we
receive is hard copy. We have no way to store the documents
electronically except by scanning them.

*IF* we could get a text file, could we print it?
Are there Chinese character fonts available? Can we get a Chinese
language module for OmniPage or some other OCR program?

Are there multiple character sets for different Chinese languages - my
desk reference lists 8 (Mandarin, Yue, Wu, Fuzhou, Minan, Xiang, Gan,
and Hakka) PLUS "local dialects"? The newswire sends us two chinese
versions - "Traditional" and "Simplified" - anyone know the
relationship between these two and the other eight?

or is there a commonly accepted "lingua franca"?

I'm sure some of these questions are a clear indication of my total
ignorance of things Chinese. No flames for cultural offenses please;
none are intended and I apologize for any inadvertent transgression.

Some our our technical marketeers are off to the PRC in a few weeks,
and I could use some help preparing their materials.

TIA
Walt Brennan
Level One Communications
Sacramento CA