Simplified English

Subject: Simplified English
From: "TUIJA I., P. 981-5515043, OULU-TEKNO" <ISOMURSU -at- TNE01 -dot- TELE -dot- NOKIA -dot- FI>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 08:33:58 +0200

Hi!

I am doing research on the "accessibility" of English technical texts (eg.
operating manuals). (At the moment I also write operating manuals in
English myself.)

When I have been reading earlier studies dealing with ways in which
accessibility (readability, comprehensibility etc.) of technical texts could
be improved, I have frequently come across simplified English as
the solution (or a solution) to the problem. The use of simple vocabulary,
simple sentence structure, short sentences, active voice etc. would make texts
easier for the reader to process and understand.

What do you think? Do you use a version of simplified English when you write
manuals? What do you think are the pros and cons of using simplified English?
I'd really like to hear your opinions since I am sure that at least some of
you must have given some consideration to this matter at some point of your
technical writing career.

Yrs,

Tuija
tuija -dot- isomursu -at- ntc -dot- nokia -dot- com