Re: Is grammar fair game? (deep thoughts)

Subject: Re: Is grammar fair game? (deep thoughts)
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 09:15:32 EST

On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL> wrote:

> I'll chime in on Beverly's side, though I'm not happy with
> that politically incorrect reference to "deep kimchee."
> How would you like it if some Korean writer referred to
> "deep cornflakes"? (Or, er, are you Korean?)

Is "deep kimchee" derogatory to Koreans? Doesn't look like
it to me. Neither does "deep cornflakes" sound derogatory
to Americans. Actually, I think it sounds kind of cool -- I
may use that!

I say "deep yogurt" myself, and I don't find that derogatory
to any cultures in particular (pun intended).

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)