Re: permission for keeping writing samples

Subject: Re: permission for keeping writing samples
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 17:01:17 -0800

At 4:57 PM 2/14/96, Brad Barnes (T) wrote:
>What is the generally accepted practice on whether or not you obtain
>explicit permission from your employer to permit you to keep a copy of
>your work for use in your portfolio?

>I have *heard* that employers automatically understand and assume that
>writers will always be able to put aside writing samples for portfolio
>purposes--without explicit permission.

>In practice, do any of you always *formally* make requests for copies of
>your own work? Or do you just go ahead and retain your own copies?
>Afterall, the work you produce belongs to the party who has paid for it,
>be it your employer or your employer's customer, right?

Since I started in the wonderful world of PC software, I have always
been given a copy of the software I worked on. Usually, everyone on
the team is handed a box o' product when it arrives at the office or
at the launch party. On those occasions when I've left the company
before the product was shipped, I've asked for a copy to be sent to
me and it has been.

For products that are customized installations, you probably should
ask -- but I'd find it really strange if you're request is denied.

Of course, I've seen it happen that a writer will work 6 months or
so on a product that's never released (right Bonni???). If it's
not released, it's still proprietary so you can't show it.

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com