Thoughts on hyphenation

Subject: Thoughts on hyphenation
From: Sharon Rosenthal/MANUGISTICS <Sharon_Rosenthal -at- MANU -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 09:10:20 -0500

I agree with Bob Morrisette that there is no need for hyphenation in technical
writing. One company I worked for dispensed with hyphenation because it slowed
the production process. The result was that our documents were easier to read,
easier to produce, and looked better. I never hyphenated another document.

At my present position writing training guides, we hyphenate only when a line
is unbearably short and visually unappealing, which is not very often.

While I am on a roll, Kathy Fisher wishes "utilize" would be banned and
vanish. That is one of my pet peeves, too. "Use" is a perfectly good word.

Sharon Rosenthal
sha @ manu.com

"Endangered means there's still time."